|"If you get from the people because of your position, that is bribery. Would you get it if you are not holding that position, or if you stay in your father's house?" — Prophet Muhammad.|
From Malaysia Factbook
|Centuries:||19th century – 20th century – 21st century|
|Decades:||1900s 1910s 1920s – 1930s – 1940s 1950s 1960s|
|Years:||1934 1935 1936 – 1937 – 1938 1939 1940|
- 1937, December 5: Sultan Badlishah of Kedah became the Regent of Kedah and ascended to the throne, upon the death of his father on 13 May 1943.
- Tun Tan Cheng Lock was elected as an official representative for the Straits Settlement to attend the coronation of King George VI.
- Chin Peng, then aged 12, joined the Chinese Anti-Enemy Backing Up Society (AEBUS), formed that year to send aid to China, in response to Japan's aggression. He was in charge of anti-Japanese activities at his school. At that time, Chin Peng was a supporter of Sun Yat-sen and not yet a communist.
- Sultan Hisamuddin Alam Shah Al-Haj became the 6th Sultan of Selangor.
- The Singapore Stockbrokers' Association was re-registered as the Malayan Stockbrokers' Association.
- The Bintulu airstrip was built in the town center.
- Khoo Kay Kim, Emeritus Professor in the History Department of Universiti Malaya
- Lee Kim Sai, former MCA Deputy President
- Mohamed Dzaiddin Abdullah, the 3rd Chief Justice of Malaysia
- Mohd Khalil Yaakob, the 6th Yang di-Pertua Negeri of Melaka
- Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah , former Finance Minister of Malaysia