From Malaysia Factbook
The Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI) is the Malaysian ministry in charge of research, telecommunication and information technology. Created in 1973 as the "Ministry of Technology, Research and Local Government", its main purpose is to improve competitiveness in the fields of science and technology through the generation of knowledge and sustainable development. MOSTI also provides grants for research. Funds available are placed under specialized schemes, such as ScienceFund, TechnoFund (Pre-commercialization and IP acquisition fund), InnoFund (Enterprise innovation and community innovation fund), eHCD (Human capital development fund), eIRPA, and the Brain Gain fund.
2. Agencies and institutions: The Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI) controls and supervises a number of institutions that are responsible in providing technical services to the government and the public:
- Malaysian Centre For Remote Sensing (MACRES), responsible for remote sensing, telemetry, geographic information system (GIS) and research;
- National Science Centre, responsible for promoting awareness, appreciation, interest, and understanding of science and technology;
- National Oceanography Directorate, responsible for marine science and oceanography development;
- National Space Agency, responsible for research and development of space science;
- Department of Chemistry, responsible for chemical analysis, investigation/forensic, and consultancy services;
- Malaysia Nuclear Agency, responsible for nuclear technology research and development;
- Malaysian Meteorological Services, responsible for national meteorological monitoring services and natural disaster warning.
- Department of Standards, acting as a national standards and accreditation body;
- Atomic Energy Licencing Board, responsible for controlling and supervising radioactive material usage in industries, including checking and enforcing safety rules.
Besides these agencies and institutions, MOSTI also supervises companies that are set up by the government or through incorporation of a government body:
Ministers of Science, Technology and Innovation